Canada’s agricultural industry is a cornerstone of the nation’s economy, contributing significantly to both domestic and international markets. The country’s various regions are known for producing a wide range of fruits, such as apples, berries, grapes, and more.
Who is a Fruit Picker?
A Fruit Picker is a seasonal agricultural worker responsible for harvesting fruits from orchards, vineyards, and farms. Their primary role involves carefully hand-picking ripe fruits, sorting and packing them for distribution, and ensuring that the harvested produce meets quality standards.
What is the Average Salary and Benefit of Fruit Pickers Jobs?
On average, Fruit Pickers in Canada can expect to earn approximately $12 to $15 per hour. Annual incomes for Fruit Pickers can range from $20,000 to $30,000 or more depending on the harvest season. Other benefits include;
- Potential tips
- Overtime pay
- Flexible work schedule
- Employees discount
- Paid leave
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Adhering to safety guidelines and using appropriate tools and equipment to prevent injuries
- Assisting with general farm and orchard maintenance tasks as needed
- Carefully picking fruits from trees, vines, or bushes while ensuring the quality and condition of the produce
- Properly packing fruits into containers, crates, or boxes, ensuring they are ready for transport
- Reporting damaged or spoiled fruit to supervisors and ensuring only high-quality produce is harvested
- Separating fruits based on size, ripeness, and quality standards
Job Skills and Required Qualifications
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Good physical stamina
- Ability to stand for extended periods
- Clear and effective communication skills
- Pay strong attention to details
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- Goal-oriented and passionate
- Reliable and trustworthy